Monday, May 20, 2013

Interview With California’s Deezo

Deezo


Deezo is an upcoming, if not already established, rapper from California. He recently released his mixtape, “10Eighty7″, to rave reviews. With special features from Hit-Boy, Problem and more you can expect a wide array of sounds on this gritty, yet catchy mixtape.


Whether he is singing or rapping, Deezo keeps you locked in and in tune as he takes you on lyrical journey through his life growing up in California. While there are plenty of tracks to chill and vibe out to, don’t expect weed anthem after weed anthem though. Deezo tells it how it is and always keeps it 100.


You can download and stream his mixtape here.


Keep reading for the full interview with Runnin With It. Be sure to check out the lead single from the album, “Feel It”, featuring mega-producer Hit-Boy and the rabid Problem.


.

Deezo



Jason

Hey what’s up man? How have you been?


Deezo

Just chillin and stayin busy. I just had a show with Problem and IAMSU! That shit was crazy.


Jason

That’s awesome man! When was the show? How was it?


Deezo

It was on Saturday and was sold out. It was crazy.


Deezo

Jason

That’s awesome. Where was the show at? You guys both just dropped new tapes.


Deezo

Yea, it was at the House of Blues in San Diego.


Jason

Did you guys get to perform your single “Feel It”?


Deezo

Nah, we were trying to work out so I could come out on their set, but it didn’t work out. It’s all good though.


Jason

Yea, well the important thing is that the tracks out and it’s everywhere. How did that collaboration come together?


Deezo

Well, me and my boy made the beat and Problem was out here in California. So I reached out and they liked the track. We sent it to him, he knocked it out in the same night. Through a producer I have worked with, Hit-Boy found out about the track. So went over to his house and he knocked it out. It all came together like that.


Deezo


Jason

That’s sick man. Hit-Boy has been a busy dude this year. He had a couple hits including that “Scream & Shout” song with everyone on it. What was it like working with him?


Deezo

It was crazy. He has a Grammy too, so it’s nice to work with such an accomplished artist. He has worked with Kanye and Wayne, so it’s overwhelming. I never even imagined working with a producer like that, so it’s a big step in where I want to be in my career.

Jason

True man. So how do you think have progressed from “22 Summers” to “10Eighty7”?


Deezo

I think it’s a big step forward with my sound and all that. I think comes just from listening back to my previous work and narrowing down what I want to change and make better. I pretty much just try to record everyday and work on my craft.


Jason

Yea you could definitely hear the growth on tracks like “Tonight” and “Stoplight”. Both songs have unique sounds. One is more a chill and drink type of song and the other one is more introspective.


Deezo

Exactly man. The crazy part about it, the next tape I’m going to try go deeper than songs like “Stoplight”. I know I can, I just didn’t want to come off as a depressing type of dude. So I just try to mix it up. I also always try to do something different than what is out there at the moment. My flow is a bit more unorthodox. I try my hardest to sound different.



Jason

So what’s one thing you tried to focus on the most on your latest tape?


Deezo

I think I thought a lot about how I want to deliver my songs. Everyone in hip-hop is kind of on that Ace Hood-Meek Mill type flow. Everybody’s beats sounds like A$AP and Kendrick. So since I’m getting some looks now, I don’t want a person to write me off as someone who is just trying to hop on a trend to get hot. I want them to see me differently. So my thought process is, “Lemme go in there and be myself and attack everything Ive been through and put it on wax.” So that’s what I’ve been doin. I’ve also been singing a lot now, so just experimenting with different sounds. I make sure if I sing, I’m not talking about no bubblegum bullshit.


Jason

Yea definitely, and not to say you sound alike or anything, but I think Drake has proven you can sing and be a hip-hop artist at the same time.


Deezo

Yea shit man, Nelly’s done it too. I’m one of the biggest Nelly fans in the world. I’ve been getting some comparisons, so that’s cool. He’s sold like 50 million records. I can’t wait til Im at the point in my career where I can reach out to a dude like that and maybe work on something.



Jason

Yea that’s gonna be crazy. So what are some of your favorite tracks off the album? Have you gotten the chance to perform them live yet?


Deezo

Yea, I’ve been doing a lot of shows since the tape dropped. One of my favorite tracks is “Motion Picture”. Of course “Feel It”. That gets a great response. I don’t know, I like to perform all of my music. I feel like this is the most complete projects I’ve done, but if I had to pick one, it would be “Motion Picture”. The fans always give me great feedback. Some new ones too. Music is all I really got, so to get a good response from anyone is crazy to me.


Jason

So are you planning on shooting some videos for the new tracks?


Deezo

Hell yeah! Over the summer we’re gonna do it. I just have to wait for the right time to do it. I have a treatment for “Feel It” and I’m gonna shoot all my individual videos. I just have to wait for everyone to be free. It’s alright though, it gives people more time to take in the songs before they get the visual. I definitely want to try to get on MTV Jams.


Jason

Cool man. So just to wrap it up, are you planning on touring this summer and what should we all look out for?


Deezo

I got a show with Schoolboy Q coming up, so that should be dope. I’d love to perform in New York. BB King’s is a dope spot, SOB’s is great also. We’re also working on a clothing line, just listen to the tape and keep supporting! Shout out to Runnin With It. I appreciate it man.


Jason

Likewise man. Be good.


Deezo

You too. Speak to you soon.






via Runnin With It - Interviews, News, Music & More - Follow @RunninWithIt http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/RwiHomePage/~3/Uo8aIH6s4Fg/

No comments:

Post a Comment